No registrations needed: Stop by at your leisure! Plant signs stay up all week!
Have you ever wondered what is a plant with the pink flowers? Or red berries? Here is your chance to find out while enjoying a stroll down the Brown’s Creek trail! Plants will be marked with signage along the trail.
Understanding what grows on and lives in our yards and parks will help us better understand how to keep our natural settings healthy. A diverse plant area can attract and support many more bees, birds, bugs, and butterflies than mowed lawns. As we develop more land, we lose diverse habitats, which means we lose habitat for bees, birds, bugs, and butterflies!
Where: Browns Creek State Trail starting at the Neal Ave Park 8312 Neal Ave N, Stillwater, MN 55082
- Garden at the parking lot
- Trail east of the parking lot for 1/4 mile distance.
Why: Learn what plants are along the Gateway Browns Creek Trail
- If you wish to know what plants are along the trail, here is your chance!
- Watch for plant signage, try some plant ID apps, and follow these plants throughout the seasons.
Plant ID apps (all are Android and iOS compatible)
- Picture This: Plants
- iNaturalist: plants and animals (i.e. bugs, birds, and bees)
- Flora Incognita
- Google Lens
WHO IS THIS EVENT FOR?
All AGES! The path is stroller and wheelchair-friendly. Great opportunity for outdoor classroom time! Leashed furry four-legged friends are also welcome!
WHAT SHOULD YOU BRING WITH YOU?
- A curiosity for the natural world!
- A smart device is handy for learning more, but not necessary for the event.
- Water to hydrate
- A good pair of walking shoes
PLANNING A DAY TRIP? WHAT AMENITIES ARE NEARBY?
- Mobile restrooms, playground, and parking onsite
- The Brown's Creek State Trail is 5.9 miles long and connects the Gateway State Trail to the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway in Stillwater. Situated on a former railroad grade, the trail is generally level and accessible to users of all abilities.
- Restaurants nearby in Stillwater
- Located 3.5 miles off Hwy 36 in Stillwater MN
INTERESTED IN IDENTIFYING MORE PLANTS? WHERE DO YOU START?
Start with a smart device App! PictureThis or iNatralist are great beginner Apps
Download the app and snap a picture of your favorite plant-it’s as easy as that!